Spring Has Sprung!
Everyone knows that come the warmer weather, it is time to book a spring maintenance appointment for the car. Get the snow tires off and get the engine tuned up, ready for the open road! But what about your home? It needs a spring tune up as well. If you live in a part of the country with harsh winter climate, then your home will be in need of a little tender loving care come spring. And whether you’re moving or not this season, taking the time to check in and out of the home can prevent possible further damage and provide full peace of mind.
As the snow starts to melt it is time to take a look around outside to see how your house held up to the ravages of winter. This checklist will help you with what to look for on the outside:
• Check the foundation (inside and out) for any cracking or water leaks. Schedule repairs, if needed.
• Clean debris from the gutters to ensure the water flows through to the downspout and away from the foundation. Check to make sure that the gutters are attached securely.
• Have a look at the roof shingles. Any damage from ice damming should be repaired.
• Check the caulking around your windows and doors. Remove old caulking and replace, if it is dried out or you notice any damage.
• Check steps, walkway and driveway for damage. You don’t want anyone getting hurt on the way in or out.
• Clean and seal your deck. It will help protect the wood, so it will last longer.
• As the weather starts warming up, schedule a maintenance/cleaning for your air conditioning unit.
• Once the snow has melted completely give your lawn a once over with the rake to get rid of fallen branches, left over leaves from the fall, or anything else that you may find. Put down seed to help get a healthy green lawn.
Not ready to tackle the outdoors just yet? Well there is still plenty to do inside.
• Replace the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, if you haven’t already done so. Make sure that they are in good working order. Check the expiry date on your units. They are usually good for 5 years and then need replacing.
• Replace the filter on your furnace (should be replaced monthly) and your heat recovery ventilator (HRV) unit, if you have one.
• Clean your vent hood over the stove and your exhaust fans in the bathroom. Ensure that they are in good working order.
• Clean out your dryer vent. Make sure that the exhaust vent outside isn’t jammed with lint.
• Time to open up the windows. Do your screens need fixing or replacing? How about the opening hardware? Maybe it’s time to replace a window or two entirely?
• When was the last time you looked into your attic? This is a good time to go up to look for leaks (resulting from roof damage), mould, or critters making themselves at home.
• With the snow melting you wan to make sure that your sump pump is working and the water is being pumped away from the foundation.
Once you have checked off your to-do list, all that is left is to enjoy the weather and maybe clean out the barbeque. Cheers!